That fish stinks. Really bad. I don't care about the Omega oils. Fish stinks and makes me wanna yarf. My pregnant sense of smell will not allow me to eat fish. I take flax seed oil for the Omega's ok? I also don't care what the study in The Lancet says either. I DON"T CARE!!! DO YOU HEAR ME SCIENCE? I DON'T CARE!!! Instead I eat most of the other foods listed here.
And who are these pregnant women they studied that actually eat fish? How the hec do they get it down...and keep it down?? I am not referring to morning sickness here. I am well past that stage. I am just talkin bout a nasty smell that turns the stomach.
Okay, there is one deep sea exception to my turn off. Tempura shrimp. But I can't prepare it myself. Someone else will have to deal with that raw, nasty, fishy smell. By the time it arrives in all its fried tempura goodness, it is not so smelly. And it does not taste fishy either.
Last night Corey and I went out for dinner at Che Ozcar and I ordered the crimini mushroom risotto with quail. Since I never have eaten quail before I thought I'd give it a try even though I still really don't want to eat much meat. But quail is small. While we were eating our Ft. Green salads the women at the table to our left were served salmon. BLECH. The stench wafted its way over to me. I wanted to move to a stank free table, but a room scanned proved disappointing, there were no other tables available. Damn.
My seat was a bench seat and I discovered that if I sat aaaaall the way back I could avoid the offensive smell and was able to finish my salad. Then as our entrees arrived at the table, the table to my right were served salmon. AHHHHHHHHHH! I was surrounded!! What's a pregnant lady to do?? Was there no escape? No, there wasn't. I just had to lean back. Lean back. (Sorry, that was sooo 2005).
Anyway, so I get my plate with the quail, butterfly cut, lying on top of my risotto. The quail looked like a little cooked person with its head hands and feet lopped off and splayed over the risotto. But I tasted it anyway cause I never tasted it before. It was ok. And yes, it tasted like chicken. But, I could not eat any more of that poor little hen. I ate the risotto (it wasn't very good, not creamy and for a mushroom dish not very flavorful) and then covered the quail with my napkin so I didn't have to look at it's tiny headless body.
Then I had to pee. I wait for in front of the door marked Madame. And I wait and wait. I knock. I wait. I go into the door marked Monsieur. I am pregnant OK? I HAD TO PEE! When I exited the bathroom, a real monsieur was waiting outside. I looked at him and said, " Sorry but some Madame was taking too Damn long". He laughed.
I tested her door on the way back to my table. She was STILL in there. Maybe she ate the fish.
Sunday, October 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ha ha ha. I guess I shouldn't tell you about the stone crab claws I ate last week, then, should I?
Actually...that sounds yummy all dipped in drawn butter. Since they are served chilled they are not smelly. So go get me some.
Post a Comment